A delicious vegan alternative to tasty Butter Chicken. I was skeptical at first but this really was easy to make and even the carnivore in the house loved it. Don’t be put off by the number of steps in the preparations – just have all your ingredients ready to go and this recipe is quick and easy – and super delish! Serve with rice or naan.
- 1 cup coconut milk – halved
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon (or ½ tsp ground)
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 fresh green chillies (optional)
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- fresh coriander to garnish
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- Soak the cashews for 30-60 minutes, then drain and add to food processor/blender with ½ cup coconut milk and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Drain tofu and slice into 1 inch slices. Lay slices on a greased or lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes on 400/200, turn slices halfway through cooking.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan pan over medium heat and add the green cardamoms, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon and saute for 1-2 minutes or until cardamom pods begin popping.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, red chilli powder, garam masala, salt, sugar, fresh chillies, and ½ cup coconut milk.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, add some more coconut milk if the mixture sticks to the pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tofu and simmer for another five minutes or so. Add the coconut milk & cashew mixture.
- Adjust spices to taste, top with chopped coriander to serve.