You can make a salad out of just about anything. All you need for a fabulous salad is some fresh ingredients and some creativity, and this week, I have to say I have outdone myself with a Mexican-inspired Quinoa Salad that was really inspired by what was left over in the vegetable crisper. I hope you like it!
• 1 cup quinoa, prepared according to package directions
• 1 cob fresh corn
• 1 large carrot, diced finely
• 1 red bell pepper (capsicum) diced finely
• Handful of green beans, halved
• 1 zucchini, diced finely
• 1 can beans (black beans, chick peas, or kidney beans) rinsed
• 1-2 spring onions, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup coriander, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
• ½ tsp cumin
• Pinch cayenne pepper (how hot do you like it?)
• Juice of 1 lime
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions, once cooked, place in large bowl
2. Use a sharp knife to scrape kernels from the corn cob
3. Heat oil over medium heat, saute zucchini and green beans for 3-4 minutes, then add corn and saute for 1-2 more minutes.
4. Stir in cumin and cayenne and heat until fragrant and well blended. Remove from heat.
5. Add zucchini mixture to the quinoa, then add remaining vegetables and herbs and rinsed beans.
6. Toss the salad in the lime juice, add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate for later.