This is one of my favorite ways to use cabbage, a traditional dish that has been passed down through my family and is a staple at big family meals. This old-school recipe is super easy to make and adds colour, taste, and a bit of digestive support to a main meal.
- medium cabbage shredded
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1-2 apples diced
- 2 tbsp sugar (or alternative)
- 1/4 cup vinegar (white, or apple cider if you like things tangy)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups water
- Saute onion in butter
- Add apples, vinegar, salt, sugar and water and heat it until boiling
- Add cabbage stirring and bring back to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 to 40 minutes
- Serve with a hearty main meal or on its own as a nutritious snack, and you can refrigerate or freeze some for later.