With the sweet, earthy taste of carrots, this creamy soup has added protein and texture with butterbeans. Serve with a crusty bread. Perfect for these cool autumn nights.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 8 large carrots
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tin butterbeans
• 1 litre vegetable stock
• Salt/pepper to taste
1. Peel carrots, halve them lengthwise and chop into medium sized chunks
2. Heat oil in a medium-large soup pot on medium heat, add onions and saute until tender, add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes.
3. Lower the heat to medium-low, add carrots and cover to allow them to slowly steam, stirring occasionally.
4. When carrots are beginning to soften, add stock, bring the temperature to medium and simmer until carrots are tender.
5. Blend soup well, then add rinsed butterbeans and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve with finely chopped herbs and perhaps a dollop of yogurt.