One of the things I have missed while living in Australia is black beans which have always been a favorite ingredient in tex-mex cooking. Although dried beans are an option (and a healthy one), I never seem to get around to soaking the beans overnight, cooking, rinsing…so the arrival of canned black beans in the Mexican food section of the supermarket has brought some of my favorite recipes back into my rotation. And this black bean salsa is definitely one of them; fresh, filling, full of nutrients, and of course if you are using canned beans it takes minutes to make.
- 2 medium tomatoes seeded & chopped
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- ¼ tsp salt & pepper
- finely diced jalapeno pepper to taste
Options: add sweet corn, cucumber, red capsicum, or switch parsley for cilantro if you are anti-cilantro
- Combine all ingredients and, if possible, refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors.
- Serve with veggies, tortilla chips or toasted tortilla wedges.