I enjoyed this amazing recipe a few times on my recent trip back to Canada and just had to share it with you. It’s possibly the best, tastiest and healthiest veggie burger I’ve ever had! It takes just a few minutes to prepare, and a few minutes to grill, and the extras freeze beautifully. Note: In Australia black beans are a bit harder to find, so I often use canned or dry lentils and they are just as nice.
1 540ml can of black beans
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp tomato ketchup or barbecue sauce
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup cheddar or tasty cheese
1. Drain and rinse beans, dry well.
2. In a food processor blend beans, onion, garlic egg, 2 tbsp of the ketchup, oil, slat and pepper. Pulse until the beans are about the size of peas – take care not to over process.
3. In a mixing bowl add flour and stir with a spatula until evenly mixed. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and stir in. Sprinkle with cheese and mix with hands.
4. Using well-floured hands shape the mixture into burgers about 1 cm thick. (at this stage you can freeze the burgers in a sealed container with waxed paper between each patty)
5. Oil your grill and preheat. Place burgers on the grill and brush with remaining ketchup. Good with the lid down for about 4 minutes on each side. Serve with your favourite condiments and enjoy!