It’s spring and that means asparagus! This soup bypasses the usual butter and cream for a clean, healthy, delicious, and smooth soup. The addition of crunchy homemade croutons adds texture and flavour…yum.
- 1 large bunch asparagus (about 1 kilo)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 slices bread, cubed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp mixed herbs (oregano, basil, thyme – whatever you’ve got)
1. Wash asparagus and break off woody bottoms. Cut into 1 inch pieces
2. In a large saucepan on medium-high heat oil, then add onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until softening. Mix in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly add vegetable stock and bring to boil.
3. Add asparagus and potatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. While the soup is simmering – prepare the croutons. In a small fry pan heat oil on medium high and add bread and herbs, stirring well to evenly coat. Saute for about 5 minutes or until bread begins to toast. Remove from heat, toss with parmesan cheese.
5. When the soup is ready (potatoes and asparagus are softening), blend well with a stick blender, or transfer to a blender or food processor in parts until the soup is smooth.
6. Add milk, salt and pepper and re-warm the soup, then serve with croutons on top.