After seeing this recipe a few times online, I decided to try my hand at a cauliflower-crust pizza, and the results were…well, pretty good. Was it tasty? Absolutely. Will this replace ‘real’ pizza for me? No. Then again, I’m not celiac or wheat intolerant or focused on reducing carbs. If you are, this will give you a pretty great pizza experience without the grains.
- 1/2 large cauliflower, washed and chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 cup green olives , sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Put the chopped cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Steam cauliflower until very tender.
- Drain through a fine sieve, use a wooden spoon to press out as much liquid as you can. Alternatively, place in a piece of cheesecloth or towel and squeeze.
- In a large bowl whisk egg, then add the cauliflower, garlic, salt & pepper, and the Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 210°C fan forced. Line a large tray with baking paper, and press cauliflower mixture firmly into the tray, then bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- Spread tomato sauce over base, then sprinkle with cheese, olives and mushrooms.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.