My beloved canine friend, Bobby Orr, loves a treat but I am finding it hard to source good dog treats that are natural and won’t break the bank (Bob really loves treats!). So, I’ve been experimenting with some homemade natural dog biscuit recipes and here’s my current favorite, or should I say Bob’s current favorite:
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flour (can use rice flour if your dog has sensitivities)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup stock (beef, chicken etc)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp grated cheese
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp cooked bacon, ground into bits
- 1 tsp liver powder, wheat grass powder etc
- Mix together oats and flour, if you want to make a smoother mixture just pop the oats in the blender for a few seconds to break them down.
- Add egg, stock and a pinch of salt and mix well, then turn out onto the bench and knead dough until it forms a smooth ball.
- Add your optional extras and knead in, then roll out to about 1.5 cm and cut into slices or use a cookie cutter
- Place dough pieces on baking paper on a large cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 350/175 or until just beginning to brown
- Cool well, then place in an airtight container.
note: Biscuits can be stored for a few days in an airtight container, or freeze for up to six months. (Just remember to thaw them for a few minutes before you treat your dog)
These biscuits make a great healthy and natural handmade holiday gift for your canine friends!